This will be awesome, probably the biggest event on our calendar this year.
Independent Bookstore Day 2015 is being celebrated all across the country, and Island Books is one of dozens of participating stores in the region. We're all taking part in the larger cause, but we're all celebrating it in our own way, too, because, you know ... we're independent.
This day-long festival includes a special loyalty card that will earn you a 25% discount on all purchases for an entire year if you get a full set of stamps at Seattle-area stores that day. All stores will also be featuring a number of signed books, prints, and other products from your favorite authors and illustrators. These will be available exclusively from indie shops and only on this day--first come, first served. In addition, we'll have a full slate of activities happening all day, including:
- Pick up an IBD2015 passport and get it stamped. If you visit us and at least two other participating stores (all listed on the back) you’ll be entered into a drawing for great prizes, including gift certificates and signed books from the likes of Jo Nesbo, Sara Gruen, and Kazuo Ishiguro. If you visit all 17 stores in a one day, you’ll earn the title of Grand Champion, our eternal thanks, and a year-long 25% discount at all stores on all purchases.
- An in-store scavenger hunt. After more than four decades in operation, Island Books is full of history that we want to share. Find a dozen select objects in the store, aided by our clues, and we’ll reward you with a fabulous prize–could be a discount card, your pick of Advance Reader Copies of forthcoming books, or something even better.
- Spin the Wheel of Fun and Fortune. All purchases over $50 win you a spin of the big wheel. You might take home something small and wonderful, or you might just win a gift certificate worth even more than you paid.
- Tell your story. Whether you met your future spouse in an indie bookstore or just discovered the perfect book at the perfect time, we want to know about it. Type up the tale on one of our vintage typewriters and help us write the collective epic of our island.
Other scheduled events:
- 11am to noon: Beat the Boss gift-wrap challenge. Roger started out his bookselling career as a part-time holiday present prettifier, and he hasn’t looked back since. He has more than 30 years of experience with ribbons, but can you best him at his own game? Prizes for all participants, with an extra bonus for winners.
- 2pm to 3pm: Mad Libs for young and old. From the start of the hour until quarter of the next, you can contribute a part of speech to our giant poster. Then comes the big comedic reveal.
- 3pm to 4pm: Board Game Battle. Nancy is our game guru, and lately she’s been enamored of the fast-paced, head-to-head action of Fastrack. Take her on for fun and maybe profit. Yes, we mean prizes.
- 5pm to 6pm: First Lines Quiz. Test your knowledge of famous books against the bearded professor. A new quiz every fifteen minutes; everyone who plays takes home something, but the biggest smarty-pants takes home more.
- 6:30pm: PJ Story Time with Pat Peterson and Nancy Stewart. Music, tall tales, and treats.
Among the limited number of remarkably cool exclusive items:
- Autographed prints from Captain Underpants creator Dav Pilkey
- Special box sets of 4 of the greatest books about books
- Signed chapbooks from novelist and feminist icon Roxane Gay
- Dramatic wall art featuring Margaret Atwood’s legendary “A Word After A Word Is Power” quote
- Tea towels for readers
- Jokebooks of the best humor from beloved children’s writers
Don't miss out! Arrive early and stay all day!