Et cetera, et cetera . . .
You probably already know that Island Books has been serving readers on the island and off for almost forty years, but you may not realize that it's also the best place around for other kinds of gift-giving. We feature a wide selection of cards, toys, games, chocolates, and other exceedingly interesting and useful items.
We're constantly updating our offerings. Roger’s head almost spun off when Nancy recently returned from a 24-hour shopping marathon in San Francisco, loaded with all kinds of new toys, games, and unique gifts to stock our shelves. Here's just a peek at the treasures you'll find here this fall...
• Many lovely new stationery and desk items from various letter press companies like Mac and Niiny paper co., Rifle Paper Co., and the Kortney Collection.
• Lots of silly things as well such as Rubber Barber Erasors, Pocket Monkey multi tools from Zootility Tools and plenty from Kikkerland including red rubber rhino erasors and solar popes.
• Several new quick and smart games from Blue Orange Games, including Nada and Fastrack and from Funnybones, Disruptus and Spectra
• A large selection of 1000, 500 and 300 piece Pomegranate jigsaw puzzles
• New Master Scuptz build a sculpture
• Marvin's Mind Blowing Magic kits for all ages
• Dreamy Dress-Ups tulle tutu skirts and fanciful fabric wings
• Attatoy Mixmates and many Junod imaginary play vehicles and puzzles
Joli Jewelry from Brooklyn with earrings and necklaces made with vintage beads
• Fairtrade silk scarves using the ancient tie dye technique of Bandhani
• Hand creams and candles from Soap and Paper Factory out of New York
• Beeswax and soy candles from Paddywax in several styles
• New paper garland styles from Giftsland Nepal fairtrade
• An entire new collection of colorful leather bags and colored wooden jewelry from the Australian company Elk
One of my goals at the recent gift show was to find more games, and when they finally arrived, I anxiously put them out with their demo packs and proceeded to grab anyone lingering at the game shelves to show them how to play. These new games, all by Thinkfun, are small, fast activities for travel that offer an entertaining challenge for a variety of skill sets. Word A Round is a fast paced word scramble game that is easy to learn and fun to play. One customer and his 9-year-old daughter, Grace, whom I snared in my web, decided that she was at a disadvantage trying to unscramble 10 letter words. The spatial game Swish leveled the playing field and they took it home. Another customer decided that the concentration of Swish made her brain hurt and went for the fast-paced imaginative game called Last Letter, an easy crowd-pleaser for all ages. There are many more, but I don't want to bore you here by explaining them. Just stop by the store and we'll play a quick round!
We feature seasonal favorites and timeless classics from local confectioners such as Fran's, Theo's, and more.
You'll find stylish table linens, aromatic candles, handmade soap, colorful teapots, and a host of other quality items to dress up your own home or to give as keepsakes for your friends and family.
Toys and games
Whether you're looking for a few minutes of fun or an intellectual challenge, we've got all ages covered, from newborns to great-grandparents. Chess, checkers, crosswords, traditional board games, the newest party games, plush toys, Lego sets, science kits--the list goes on.
Of course we have travel guides to get you where you're going, but we also carry maps, bags, and other things to make your trip more enjoyable (and maybe more fashionable, too).
Bookmarks, journals, magnifiers, book lights, and other paraphernalia for you or the avid reader or writer in your life.
We're continually finding new treats to add to our shelves, so stop in around the holidays or any other time of year to see the latest additions.