On Saturday, April 29th, Independent Bookstore Day 2017 is being celebrated all across the country and Island Books is one of a host of participating stores in the region. We're all taking part in the larger cause, but we're also celebrating it in our own way, too, because, you know ... we're independent.
This day-long festival includes a special loyalty card that will earn you a 25% discount on all purchases for an entire year if you get a full set of stamps at Seattle-area stores that day. All stores will also be featuring a number of signed books, prints, and other products from your favorite authors and illustrators. These will be available exclusively from indie shops and only on this day--first come, first served. In addition, we'll have a full slate of activities happening all day, including:
- Pick up an IBD2017 passport and get it stamped. If you visit us and at least two other participating stores (all listed on the back) you’ll be entered into a drawing for great prizes. If you visit all the participating stores in one day, you’ll earn the title of Grand Champion, our eternal thanks, and a year-long 25% discount at all stores on all purchases.
- Free doughnuts and coffee in the morning (and the mimosas get poured at 9:00 a.m.).
- Entertainer extraordinaire Nancy Stewart gets the morning started right with songs and fun at 9:30 a.m.
- All-day coloring table for kids of all ages. Enter our bookmark design contest!
- The world-famous Island Books typewriters will be dusted off and ready for use. Who has the fastest wpm? Let's race to find out!
- Mid-day features a visit from authors Jen Longo and Mark Holtzen, dispensing advice about books, life, and whatever ails you. The doctors are in from noon until 2:00 p.m.!
- All-day giveaways: Purchases of $20 or more will be rewarded with a pick from our blind-date grab bag. Books in plain brown wrappers, emblazoned with a personal ad. Will you fall in love or just in like?
- Where are you going and where have you been? Since IBD2017 is all about getting on the road, check out our world map and pin it with the most interesting place you've visited. All travelers will be entered in a drawing for a free copy of Lonely Planet's Wild World.
- All-day free audiobook downloads available from our partners at Libro.fm! You can sign up at https://libro.fm/islandbooks in advance to get a jump on things.
- Music from Grant Dermody and Forrest Gibson starting at 4:30 p.m.
- Last-minute shoppers will enjoy pizza and beer while they last, starting at 5:45 p.m.
And check out our Facebook photo album featuring just a few of the remarkably cool items that will be available for purchase exclusively on Independent Bookstore Day.
Don't miss out! Arrive early and stay all day!