Are you familiar with the Indie Next list? You may or may not know the name, but if you’ve visited our store at any point in last half-dozen years, you’ve seen what’s on it. Every month we set up a display of the recent Indie Next titles. These are the new releases that are most discussed, recommended, and loved by independent booksellers across the country. The American Booksellers Association compiles submissions (including ours!) and puts the list together. Whichever books are most favored each month make the cut–you can’t buy or lobby your way onto it. Real books chosen by real readers, in other words, a kind of Staff Picks collection for the whole country.
Take the February list as an example. Among other titles, it includes:
- Pachinko by Min Jin Lee, a multi-generational family saga
- Lincoln in the Bardo by George Saunders, an inimitable tragicomic historical extravaganza by one of the most inventive language artists working today
- Lillian Boxfish Takes a Walk by Kathleen Rooney, a love letter to city life narrated by an 85-year-old former career girl
- The Girl Before by J.P. Delaney, a sizzling thriller that inspires veteran booksellers to text each other shock-faced emojis at all hours of the night
- The Impossible Fortress by Jason Rekulak, a nostalgic, funny look at video games and teen romance in the 1980s
Those are all novels that one or more of us at Island Books read and enjoyed thoroughly ... continued