Happy National Poetry Month! This month we are chock full of events and activities. There will be poetry offsite with Heidi Seaborn, a letter writing talk with Rabbi Elana Zaiman, Arabic story time with Laila Taji, Seattle Independent Bookstore Day (more on that below), a signing with Mercer Island High School alumna Caroline Fraser, and more... Check out the ways we are celebrating writing in all forms.
Ready, Set, Read! We are 24 days away from the 5th annual Seattle Independent Bookstore Day. Join us on Saturday, April 27th for a daylong celebration of indie bookstores and the people who make them great—that includes you!
Our schedule is jam-packed:
- Free coffee, donut holes and Mimosas for our 8:00am early bird opening
- Nancy Stewart Story Time for kids at 10:00am
- Ask the Authors: Elise Hooper & Mark Holtzen dispense sage wisdom on all subjects from 11:30am to 1:00pm
- Garth Stein will be our featured celebrity bookseller beginning at 3:00pm
- Happy hour beer & Centioli pizza at 4:00pm
- Live music in the afternoon at 5:00pm
- The famous Island Books typewriters will be out and in use for on-the-spot poetry and letter writing on Island Books stationery
- Take a selfie at our Instagram photo booth, pick up some new ink via temporary tattoos in the Tattly corner, or flex your creativity at our kid coloring/craft table
- Custom-made Island Books cookies in the afternoon
- There will also be special offers running all-day, this day only: Win a Blind Date with a Book: purchases over $29.99 entitle you to a tantalizingly mysterious read $2 greeting card sale 20% discount on our stellar collection of books about . . . bookshere, or ask us for suggestions!
Don't forget about the custom merchandise that will be available this day only. In addition to Island Books shirts (we will be giving away a few, as well as selling them), we'll have limited edition book totes, Indie Bookstore Day shirts, a literary map, literary tea towels, signed books and much, much more.
Get your engines revving!