It's been awhile since our last meeting, but the Island Books Cookbook Book Club is back! If you're new to this special group, we meet regularly to explore different cuisines and cookbooks and taste the dishes we've made. A festive potluck meal, in other words, and we'll supply the drinks.
In November, our host is James Beard nominee Kate McDermott, author of Home Cooking with Kate McDermott and Art of the Pie. She has been named "Food Rock Star" and "Pie Whisperer", and has received high praise for her work from Dorie Greenspan, Ruth Reichl, Ken Haedrich, David Leite, and many others. Kate lives on the Olympic Peninsula in Washington State, where she writes, tends her gardens, cooks, and bakes.
When she isn’t making pie, Kate McDermott has people to feed. From roasted chicken and veggies for Sunday supper to batches of hearty soup to reheat when there’s no time to cook, Home Cooking with Kate McDermott is a practical cookbook focuses on staple recipes for people who aren’t looking for a part-time job in the kitchen. Using ingredients that can be found in any supermarket and techniques that every home cook needs, McDermott shares tasty and repeatable meals for friends and family. Her healthy, affordable, and delicious recipes include Pie Cottage Scones, How to Roast a Chicken, Snowy Day Lentil Soup, Tiny Chocolate Chippers and more. In Art of the Pie, Kate shares her secrets to great crusts (including gluten-free options), fabulous fillings, and to living a good life. It's required reading for any pie-maker.
Now, since we're talking recipes, here are the step-by-step instructions for participating:
- RSVP to email@example.com so we can plan on crowd size.
- Come into Island Books ahead of time to buy a copy of the featured cookbook. All Cookbook Book Club purchases are 10% off, so make sure to mention you’re buying it for the event.
- Join our Facebook group to discuss and plan your recipes.
- Check out the recipes inside, test them at home, and find a favorite dish to share.
- On the appointed evening, bring what you've made to Island Books.
- Eat, drink, and be merry!