We hope your red pen is handy, because you'll want to mark your calendar in big, bold letters. Independent Bookstore Day is back and better than ever! Join us on Saturday, April 28th for a daylong celebration of indie bookstores and the people who make them great--that includes you!
Our schedule is jam-packed:
- Free coffee and doughnuts from our 8:00 a.m. earlybird opening until whenever they last
- Nancy Stewart Story Time for kids at 10:00 a.m.
- Ask the Authors: Jennifer Longo & Mark Holtzen dispense sage wisdom on all subjects from 11:30 a.m to 1:00 p.m.
- The famous Island Books typewriters will be out and in use for on-the-spot poetry and letter writing on Island Books stationery
- take a selfie at our Instagram photo booth, pick up some new ink via temporary tattoos in the Tattly corner, or flex your creativity at our kid coloring/craft table
- Custom-made IBD2018 cookies and live music in the afternoon
- Happy hour beer & Centioli pizza
There will also be special offers running all day, this day only:
- Win a Blind Date with a Book: purchases over $29.99 entitle you to a tantalizingly mysterious read
- Free Island Books/IBD T-shirts: purchases over $99.99 earn you a runway position in the most exclusive fashion show in town
- $2 greeting card sale
- 20% discount on our stellar collection of books about . . . books
- FREE audiobook downloads via our partners at Libro.fm. You can set up an account in advance to get your books on the big day; click here to get started.
And of course, the now-legendary challenge continues. Pick up a passport at any participating bookstore you visit on April 28th and get it stamped. If you get stamps from all 19 Seattle-area stores before the end of the day, you qualify as an Indie Bookstore Champion and earn a 25% discount card good at any participating store for a full year. Don't feel bad if you can't make the full circuit--if you get your passport stamped by at least 3 stores, you can trade it in for a 30% off coupon good for a single purchase on a following visit to any participating store. Come spend some time with us and then head up the Eastside to see our friends at Brick & Mortar Books in Redmond and BookTree Kirkland. Or visit us and then zip across the bridge to Third Place Books Seward Park and the Fantagraphics bookstore in Georgetown. Or set your own itinerary!
Don't forget about the custom merchandise that will be available this day only. In addition to Island Books shirts (we will be giving away a few, as well as selling them), we'll have a special poster for sale featuring imaginative logos for all the awesome bookshops involved. There will be adorable onseies for our youngest fans, special chapbooks, and much, much more.