- New Hours! We've extended our hours to better serve you. Now you can spend more time at Island Books after your work day. We will be open until 8:00pm Monday through Friday. Our weekend hours will remain unchanged.
- Book Clubs: What? Why is Book Clubs plural? Is that typo? Some of you may not be aware that Island Books has multiple book clubs. And we will be adding even more this fall! As a reminder, here are our legacy book clubs...
- Open Book Club: Led by Miriam, this is our longest running book club. The group usually meets the last Thursday of the month at 7:30pm. This month the book club is discussing The Ensemble by Aja Gabel on September 26.
- Daytime Open Book Club: Led by our newest member of the Island Books team, Caitlin, this book club meets on the third Monday of each month at 10:30am. This month they are discussing Three Summers by Margarita Liberaki, translated by Karen Van Dyke on September 16.
- Cookbook Book Club: Led by Victor, this book club has been meeting... er... sporadically. The concept is simple, though. We pick a cookbook for the book club and everyone chooses a recipe, makes the dish, and brings it to the book club meeting. We will be scheduling meetings for you to join us for this fall.
- This fall we'll also be introducing two new book clubs:
- The Silent Book Club: Led by Kelleen, this book club is calling all introverts and book worms! There's no assigned book and no group discussion to participate in. All you need to do is bring a book, settle into one of our comfy chairs, and read. The first meeting will be Tuesday, September 17 at 7:00pm. Subsequent meetings will be held on the third Thursday of every month. Check in with the website when we post more information!
- Knitting Book Club: Led by Lori, this book club invites you to knit and talk about books at the same time. Some things are just way better together. We'll be kicking this off in October, so stay glued to your Facebook and our website for updates!
- Home Delivery! We've been informally and quietly delivering books to homes on Mercer Island for a number of years. Many longtime customers who are "in the know" have been aware that we will deliver books to homes on Mercer Island if they can't make it to the store. This fall we've decided that we're going to make a bigger deal about this service and let all our Mercer Island customers know that we'll deliver books, gifts, and toys to your doorstep. This service is available free of charge to all Mercer Island residents.
- Game Nights! We're bringing game nights to Island Books! These evenings will be led by Nancy. These will kick off in October, so make sure you check in with our Facebook and website to find details. These nights will be ideal for the whole family!
We're excited about the changes we have been planning to bring to our community this fall. We hope you are too!
See you in the bookstore,